"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ten Things I'll Miss About the Southwest

I called home during my lunch break like I do every day to speak with Mick. He's still asleep when I leave for work, so it's always nice to hear his voice before I get home. "We're leaving for England in fifteen days!" he told me. Whaaat? So, with time quickly running out, I decided to make a list of ten things I will miss about living in the Southwest.

Photo from http://www.hoalian.com
1. Mexican food.   I am never more than a mile away from an amazing taco stand or restaurant where I can get amazing food. Fish tacos, bean burritos, tortas, tacos, enchiladas, tamales, chimichangas, carne asada, ceviche, so many amazing flavors and spices. The other day my future sister in law posted on her facebook status "just ate my first burrito!" Are you kidding me right now?
2. Big cars. Big cars do exist in England, but it's not very practical when you consider how itty-bitty most of the roads are, apart from the major motorways. I like having a car big enough to move small furniture, and I don't have to worry about having enough space for people's luggage if I pick them up from the airport, etc.
Photo from http://www.minkler-photo-gallery.com
3. Mountains. While England is a very hilly country, there aren't a whole lot of craggy mountains. And when you do find them, they don't go more than about 2,000 ft. I have always loved driving in the mountains and just looking out my window and seeing them. 
4. The color brown. A lot of people probably think that's a boring color, but it really isn't. It's a warm, welcoming color. The sand, the mountains, the dunes, the brush. I love green, but I will miss brown.
5. The beach. Okay, you're probably thinking "but England is an island! Its entire circumference is a beach!" True, but it's not the same as the beaches of California. They're mostly rocky, windy, and cold most of the year. And even though I'm not exactly a beach bunny, I will miss the option of soft sand, salty lips and feet covered in tar.
Photo from http://www.ca-blog.com
6. The sky. I haven't really noticed it, but when Mick first came to Arizona, he couldn't stop talking about how big the sky is. I guess because everything is so spread out and it's always so blue here? Maybe? I don't know. But there is an openness I feel here that I don't feel in England when I look up. I love grey, cottony skies, but there is something about that deep blue that will always stick with me.
7. Diversity. California is an amazing state because you can be anywhere if you drive three or four hours. The desert, the beach, redwood forests, lakes, valleys, mountains, hot springs, rivers, rolling hills or echoing canyons. It's all so close.
8. My family. Need I say more?
9. The sunsets. I have seen more breathtaking sunsets in the desert than I can possibly recall.
Photo from http://www.fuelyourphotography.com
10. Running into people I know. I have lived in this town for nearly 15 years, and it's not uncommon to run into two people or more on a night out. It's going to be strange and feel a bit isolated to never see anyone I know. I suppose it's kind of funny to think about, but I suppose it's the little things we take comfort in, right?

I'll be sure to post what I'm looking forward to about living in England either tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment