"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Saturday, June 25, 2011

Shop til you drop!

Just a short update... too tired to say much today!
We went shopping today at Bluewater, one of the UK's biggest malls. When it was built in 1997, it was the biggest mall in all of Europe, but apparently the mainland got it's butt in gear and built some bigger ones. (I'll be giving you little lessons on England and its history from time to time!) Today Mick's mum told me that it's built in the bottom of a quarry. And sure enough when I looked around as we left the mall, there are sheer cliffs surrounding the mall to prove her point correct. I've been here a few times on my various visits to England, and always end up leaving exhausted and satisfied. I can't wait until my mom and sister come to visit, because they will LOVE this place. It's a gorgeous mall. I picked up a few necessities like body wash and shampoo, and Mick and I got gifts for his sister's birthday.

Bluewater (from wikipedia.org) 
Interior of the mall (from tonbridgesearch.com)        






 While at the mall we got a sim card for my phone so that I can have a UK number and access to internet/email on my phone like I do at home, 300 minutes, and 3,000 texts a month. This is only going to cost me ₤10, which is about $15 a month. To my fellow Americans- we get SCREWED in the states when it comes to mobile phones. I suggest you all revolt.
We spent last night in Wrotham, where Mick's dad lives and visited with that part of the family. Wrotham is an adorable little village in Kent where you can still get your milk delivered to your doorstep in glass bottles by a milkman who drives the truck and everything! The first time I saw this I about had a quaint little heart attack of cuteness on the pavement (sidewalk).
Here's a shot of Wrotham (from geograph.org.uk). Excuse the scaffolding- old buildings means lots of upkeep, which means lots of scaffolding in England!



Sleeping patterns are still out of whack. Our first night here, Mick and I slept nearly 12 hours. Then last night we couldn't fall asleep until past 3am and had to get up at 9:30am, but I was awake around 8:30 and I'm still awake and it's 11:20pm! I hope things will get normal soon!

Also- just to keep you in the loop, we will be starting to plan the wedding very soon. I have to live in the UK for 9 days before we can give our Intent to Marry at the registry office. Apparently this comes from an old tradition called Banns of Marriage. Another history lesson! Basically, they post your names in the office (back in the day I assume it was the town hall or something) for a little over two weeks. This way, people see it as they come and go and if, by chance, you shouldn't get married because you're related, already married, sworn to celibacy (that one made me laugh!) etc, passersby who know this information can inform the right people and the marriage will be prevented. So, after our Intent is registered, we have to wait 16 days then we can get married. Next week we will register our Intent, wait the given period, and find a date when we can do all this. This will just be the little legal wedding, and next spring we'll do the big to-do.
I got to talk to my dad tonight- haven't spoken to anyone back home since I arrived because I've been too tired or busy. My mom was out (boo!) but I got to catch up with dad. I miss everyone lots. I'm okay during the day when I'm busy and surrounded by people, but at night when I get in bed and have the quiet surrounding me I start to get kind of worried and sad and miss everyone. Needless to say, I'm not too fond of nighttime for this reason. 
Okay, that's all for now, I'm beyond tired and need a bath. Hopefully I'll be doing some exciting things this coming week and will have some good posts for you!
This was supposed to be a short post!





2 comments:

  1. I am all for your said revolt! That is so odd that it could vary that drastically from country to country! I wonder why!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, Jessica! But the phone salesman who helped us was appalled when I told him I paid $80 a month in the states!

    ReplyDelete