"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Friday, September 30, 2011

The Daily Shoot- Break the Rules

 Today's assignment at The Daily Shoot was actually kind of hard for me, as I'm only a baby photographer and don't know tons of "rules" of composition and whatnot. I took a class a few years ago, but I've forgotten a lot in the time my photo taking has been stagnant.

September 30, 2011 (Day 684), Assignment:
"Rules" can be stifling if taken to extremes. Break the rules today with focus, composition, etc, and see what happens

Here's my homework...



I didn't go full blown rebel on this one. I played with composition a bit, mostly just that the object is slightly out of the frame. My photography teacher always said you want to be really careful when you cut something off in a photo- it either needs to be dramatic or not at all, basically. There needs to be a point in cutting something off. I only cut off a bit at the edge, and I also did the focus a bit differently with the parts closest to the camera out of focus and the bottom right in focus, which is the part of the object that's further away. This isn't really rule breaking, just a bit different from what I'd normally do. I'm not sure if it's a big success as the assignment, but I like it.

Not much news- it's been unseasonably warm, I'm told. I have no other English Autumns to compare it to, but it's in the mid-high seventies farenheit this week. Mick said it shouldn't be freezing yet, but it should be a lot cooler. The back of the house where the tv room and kitchen are catch the sun all day. This is also where I spend most of my time. Our bedroom/Mick's office is also on the back of the house. These rooms are really hot and stuffy and uncomfortable when it's warm. We've both retreated to the front sitting room which stays nice and cool all day.

Feeling less homesick, which is good.
Mick bought me some spicy candles that I can burn in the house, which reminds me of home, because mom always had spicy candles in autumn and winter.

Later guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment