"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Monday, September 5, 2011

September 2, 2011- Our Wedding Day

I woke up at 6:45am in my parents hotel room at the Village Hotel in Maidstone on Friday morning. My hip was sore from sleeping on the roll-away mattress. I looked at my phone and saw that Mick had text me at midnight. In order to follow tradition, we spent the night apart. Apparently, he wanted to open his wedding day gift at midnight, since, technically, that was our wedding day.


I took a shower and dried my hair and went to breakfast with my parents. Then I straightened my hair so it would be ready for Laura to come and style it for the wedding. We checked on the hotel's preparations for the reception that night. It felt like an incredibly unremarkable day, just another one, and the girls at the front desk commented on how I was the calmest bride they'd ever seen.

Laura arrived and got to work on my hair. It was a long process, but she did a beautiful job. The flowers arrived. I was so pleased with them- gorgeous pink, white and green roses that smelled like heaven. When the florist was done with the table and pedestals in the reception room I went down to check it out and it was like walking through a wall of sweet roses. I went back to my hotel room to finish my makeup while Laura did her hair. Around this time the photographer arrived and took shots of my jewelry and dress and me getting ready. My mom arrived at about a quarter to 3 (the wedding was at 3:30) to help me get into my dress. It took a good ten minutes, five of which were spent with my arms over my head while my mom and Neely, the photographer, tried to get the dress and all its layers straightened and down over my head. I was starting to get pretty hot (it was a really warm day!) and freaking out a little bit about time. "Get it together, one lady did this alone in the dress shop!"

We got out of the room at ten after 3 and the white Taxi Cab was waiting for me. I flopped in and off me, my mom and dad and Laura went. I think we arrived at the Archbhisop's Palace a few minutes late and I met with the registrar and the music began and Laura walked in. Then my dad and I went in. Of course I first looked to Mick, but he seemed really twitchy and was blocked by his groomsmen. He was barely able to look at me. By the time I got to the front of the room to stand with him he seemed a bit better though, and the further we got into the ceremony the better he seemed. I really don't remember much of the ceremony, but I remember looking into his eyes and trying not to sound like a little kid when I said my vows. I didn't realize how nervous I was until he took my hand to put my ring on and could feel my hands shaking. And then suddenly it was over and we were married.

We went outside and took pictures with all the family then everyone left for the hotel and we had our shots together. It was really hot and we both just kept on sweating. The car took us back to the hotel about an hour later and everyone was waiting in the garden patio area for us and we had a drink then went into the reception room. We ate, we drank, we sweated some more (the air conditioning was broken....), we danced. Mick and I danced to "Songbird" by Fleetwood Mac and my dad and I danced to "My Wish" by Rascal Flats. Later in the evening some of Mick's friends from school came for drinks and so did Rach and Josh. We visited and kept going outside where it was cool. Finally, around midnight, I could stand my dress no longer and Mick and I retired to our room. It was a very long, hot day, but a very, very good one. I don't really have any pictures but as soon as people start sending them to me and the photographer gets the disc to me I promise to post them. For now I'll leave you with this one- I adore the way Mick looks in it; so chuffed with himself. Like he's saying, "Yeah, I just got married. What did you do today!?"


We took my parents to the airport today. I hate to see them go, we had such a good time with them here. Now I may not see them until Christmas 2012 when Mick and I plan to go back for our first visit. 15 months- feels like a looooooooong time. But my siblings and their families should be coming to visit over the course of the next year so I have that to look forward to. And finding a job and looking for a place of our own when we save up enough.


Haha, I'm married. It's still so funny to think!

No comments:

Post a Comment