"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birthday Boy!

I think it's safe to say that Mick had a very nice 25th birthday yesterday. I snuck out of bed before him, made him a cup of tea and put a birthday banner on our bedroom door and crept in with his tea. I wanted to make him breakfast in bed, but he's one of those people who doesn't like to eat right when he gets up. So tea was all I could really do, but he was happy with this. He hadn't slept very good because it was really windy and all night we could hear it whipping around the house. He had his tea and I gave him his card and one gift- a little stuffed Gizmo from Gremlins, because he reminds me of Mick's dog. The rest of the gifts were saved for the evening.

We got up and I made breakfast- French toast and bacon. Kind of bacon. Did you know you could melt bacon? Well, you can. I've never cooked bacon over a gas stove before, and apparently I made it too hot. I looked one second at crispy, slightly burntish bacon, and turned around and it was literally just a sizzling pile of gooey carbon. I sustained a nasty burn  on my knuckle trying to not set the house on fire, and the smoke alarm went off twice. The kitchen still smells of burnt bacon. I salvaged what I could and Mick still had a nice birthday breakfast. We ate at the table- something that's not common around here. I grew up always eating at the table, and lately we've been trying to do this together because I think meal time is talk time, social time with one another. We usually eat in front of the tv and then everyone just ends up shushing one another.

I hopped in the shower and we caught the bus into Chichester. I found a pair of boots for winter and to take on our honeymoon in the Lake District (rainnnnny. why do you think there are so many lakes?). Turns out I don't really like them and will take them back.... We met Mick's mum for lunch and I snuck off to book the table for dinner and buy a cake to leave with the restaurant. Mick hates any kind of public attention, and loads of strangers singing to you in a restaurant counts. I went back to the cafe and avoided his interrogation and we had our lunch. We walked down to the snooker club and played for a good two hours. Snooker is a pool type game, but with different balls, rules, and a massive table. Then we saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which was actually really really good. We went back home and Laura was waiting for us. We all went out to dinner and yes, Mick was surprised with that cake, although when he saw the waitresses bringing it out, he mumbled some very ungentlemanly words that I will not repeat here.

Then we came back to the house and played Apples to Apples which meant many laughs were had by all. Mostly me and Laura.

Here are some pics of the day. 
Didn't you know I married Osama? Getting dressed after I woke him up with tea.
French Toast (or eggy bread as they call it here!)
Playing snooker.
And avoiding the camera at dinner. As always.


Happy Birthday, babe! I love you and hope the coming year brings you (and us) everything you hope for.

And I'll leave everyone with an amusing quote on birthdays:

There is nothing better than birthday cake. It's like a slice of concentrated love with buttercream frosting.
Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment