"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup with Pita Bread

Soup is good food. And I think it's often under-appreciated. Hearty, warm, filling-- fantastic.

The lack of Mexican/ Tex-Mex food in England is starting to take a toll on me. A couple weeks ago I made soft tacos for dinner and last night I made Chicken Tortilla Soup. I know this isn't authentic Mexican food, but the flavors and influences are there and I miss them.
So- here's what I did. Again, pretty much all made up in my head. Or, going with the theme, my cabeza.

What you'll need:
3 cans of cream of tomato soup
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 packet taco seasoning
Cumin
1 Cup rice
2-3 diced chicken breasts
1/2- 1 onion
Mozarella Cheese (grated)
Tortilla Chips

Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
In a large saucepan, empty 3 cans of tomato or cream of tomato soup. Add about a pint of vegetable stock (you can use canned, I use granules and boiling water). This helps thin out the tomato soup a bit. Heat on a medium flame. Add in a generous helping of cumin. Then, empty a packet of your average taco meat seasoning. The only one I've been able to find here is Old El Paso, but Mission or Taco Bell would even work, whatever you can find in the store. Mix in well. Add two cans of diced tomatoes.

While that is heating (try not to let it come to a boil and keep stirring), prepare about 1 cup of dry rice in another pan. I used a bit more than a cup for three people and had a bit left over, it's up to you. If you have a steamer, you can use that as well. Let that set up and set to one side.

Check on the soup mixture. Taste it and add more cumin if you want, possibly a bit of paprika.

Pop your pita bread in the oven, directly on the rack. Keep checking on it so it doesn't get too crispy or burnt. I did one pita for each person.

I bought pre-cut chicken breasts, but you can buy your own breasts if you want and slice them up yourself. Make sure they're in about 1 inch cubes or smaller. Fry them in a pan with diced onion. Mick is my designated onion dicer because my makeup gets everyyyyyywhere if I try to dice an onion. PAINFUL. Let the chicken cook fully and set to one side.

Make sure your soup mixture is good and hot.

Spoon a glob (however much you want) of rice into the bottom of a large soup bowl. Set the chicken in the bowl is well (I divided the amount evenly amongst the three bowls). Ladle the soup mixture on top and fill up the bowl. Break up a handful of tortilla chips and sprinkle over the bowl. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozarella and enjoy! Oh, and don't forget about your pita bread!!!

And! I remembered to take a picture of the finished product!




Tonight is steak fajitas and nachos. Woooot!

No comments:

Post a Comment