"I tell you: one must have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you’ve got to say, and say it hot."
-D.H. Lawrence


Tuesday, November 3, 2015

England VS America: Autumn

I haven't done a post like this for several years, but when I first moved to England, you guys loved when I did the comparison entries, such as "Out of the Mouths of Brits, Volumes I and II." When I wrote these posts, I had only been a resident of England for mere weeks. Now, it's been over four years, so I've had a lot of time to make more interesting observations. In some ways, I hands down prefer the way the English do things, and other things are *facepalm* worthy and make me miss home more than I can express.

Today, I want to talk about Autumn. I have so many wonderful memories growing up in California and Arizona surrounding this time of year. Autumn isn't a hugely recognizable season in the desert, what with the lack of trees and all, but it's still identifiable. And in Southern California, it's a bit more obvious. Blood red leaves, bright orange with crimson tips. Chilly, foggy mornings with that smokey, homey scent that hangs in the air and cool, clear afternoons. The buzz of life and work starts to slow down, and social gatherings multiply. I have pictures of myself as a tiny Aindrea sitting on pumpkins at the pumpkin patch seeking out that perfect jack-o-lantern. I have vivid memories of hay rides, pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, fall festivals and my mom's autumn decorations. I remember her terracotta pumpkins, the wooden cutout of pilgrims, the fake leaves in various shades of orange, and the paper turkey that came out at Thanksgiving. Oh, Thanksgiving. The amazing food, the parades, the football, and the family. All of these things have added up to make me what I am - a girl who simply lives for Autumn.




So how much luckier could a girl like me get, moving to England; a country with breathtaking Autumns? It actually gets COLD here, and I get to wear things like scarves and boots and leather jackets. The thousands of trees are covered in brilliant colored leaves that start to turn as early as August, and a few even manage to stay on the trees into early December. Autumn here is slow, drawn out and palpable, giving you time to really take it in and feel the transition of time. Another year coming to a brilliant end.

"Autumn is the final trick in nature's year-long magic show: 
It masks death with a spectacular display of beauty."
-Keith Hansen

But the sad truth of it? English people don't give a crap about this magical time of year. I'll be damned if I can find a single Autumn decoration, and the only reason I'm able to decorate at all is due to my mom sending me boxes of decorations most years. Halloween is only just starting to gain momentum here. So many people I know say that they find it odd, allowing their children to march up to complete strangers' houses and demand candy simply because they threw on a mask. I can't comprehend this, because I grew up with it. Everyone DID Halloween. I've witnessed five Halloweens here, and Saturday was the first time I actually saw a bonafide Trick-or-Treater. Halloween parties are becoming much more popular and this year, there were even a couple pumpkin patches springing up around the countryside. I support this like a fanatic - it's about time these people take Halloween seriously. The other day at work, I complained that the pumpkins in the grocery stores were all beat up and scraped, misshapen and obviously thrown unceremoniously into the back of a truck. One of my colleagues chuckled at me and said "this really bothers you doesn't it?" I didn't hesitate for a second before answering, "Yes! You've got to take pride in your pumpkins!"

And, let's face it, Thanksgiving will never be a thing here. For the last five Thanksgivings, it's just been another Thursday for me. I get up, go to work, and sit at my desk, turkeyless. At my lunch break I check my phone and all my loved ones stateside are posting pictures of pies baking, tables set with cornucopia centerpieces, and family photos. I go home after work and make a normal dinner, plop down in front of normal, everyday TV and let myself feel glum. Stupid England.
However, on the weekend immediately after Thanksgiving, we have a little ritual. I either invite friends/family around and throw my own little Thanksgiving, or at least make sure I make myself and Mick a nice turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and some pie. Then I take down all my autumn decorations, and put up the tree and all my Christmas nik-naks. After that, Mick and I sit down in front of the TV with another helping of pie, and watch "Jingle All the Way."

In so many ways, I mourn the loss of my favourite family traditions, but at the same time, I get to make new ones with my husband, and every year I look forward to the taking down of autumn decor and transitioning into Christmas, and of course, watching his favourite Christmas film.

This year, however, I get the best of both. For the first time since I left home, I'm flying back for Thanksgiving, and I'm going solo. REAL Thanksgiving food with my friends and family, and even some bonus sunshine, because I definitely won't be seeing much of that in England for the next 5 months or so. In early December I'll fly back to my husband and my pug, and together we can play our parts in our little tradition.

Can't hardly wait. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment